Frequently Asked Questions About Wigs
Just click on the question to view each answer.
I need a wig. Where should I start and what steps do I take?
Step 1: Measure your head. When you have determined what size cap you need, you can browse for wigs in the correct category.
Step 2: Select your style. Browse through our catalog and determine which styles best fit your needs. Make sure that you are browsing through the appropriate size categories. In this step, try to ignore the colors the wigs are pictured in and look at the style only. Most wig styles are available in at least 25 different color choices. Each wig will have its own selection of colors. You cannot choose the color until you have completed step 2.
Step 3: Select your color. The last step (and often the most difficult) is choosing your color.
Please see our other question and answer sections for more information on all 3 steps.
How do I know my head size?
Head size has very little to do with the overall size of a person. It is best not to make any assumptions about fit, and to take measurements. To measure your head, find a flexible seamstress measuring tape. Start at your forehead, just above your eyebrows; proceed toward one side of your head, following the hairline. When you reach the ear area, take the tape behind the ears. Follow the tape all the way around the head, meeting up at your forehead in the front. When you have that measurement, this is your head circumference. We offer the following guideline to wig sizes:
Ultra Petite/Children - Fits heads smaller than 20 inches.
Petites - Fits heads 21 inches or smaller.
Average - Fits heads 21.5 - 22.5 inches.
Large Cap - Fits heads 22.5 inches and larger.
I have a petite head size... is there some way I could make an average cap fit me?
Answer: Sometimes, if the wig is only slightly too large, you can take a regular needle and thread, and take it in slightly. Do not cut the inside of the wig, but create a tuck, as you would on a pair of pants that are too large in the waist. Sometimes wearing a wig cap underneath your wig can help. Sometimes the use of a comfy grip underneath the wig can be helpful as well. With all this stated, it is much better to purchase a wig that fits you.
Why don't you have a better selection of petite wigs or large cap wigs?
Approximately 90% of women will wear an average sized cap. Among the remaining 10%, the majority of these will have petite sized caps. Wig manufacturers are in business to make money. It is more economical for them to offer styles that 90% of people can wear instead of stocking a large selection of wigs that will fit less than 10% of the population. Therefore, most companies make very few wigs in petite caps, and even fewer companies offer large caps. This is why the selection is so poor - the manufacturers simply don't offer many styles.
Are the color swatches I see online an accurate way to choose a wig color?
Due to individual monitor settings (and limitations in scanning technology), it is impossible to provide a color swatch on your screen that looks exactly like the true color. Our color scans will only give you an impression of the overall color. In reality, the written descriptions are a more accurate indicator of what the actual color will look like in real life. We offer the following picture (reproduced here with written permission) from Stressless Tresses to illustrate our point. This picture shows the same person's hair in 3 different lighting settings. It illustrates how the same color can look very different, depending on your individual computer monitor or the scanning method used.
If you have never worn a wig before, or if you are unsure of your color, please consider taking the extra steps described on this page to ensure that you will be happy with your purchase.
How do I select a color?
Please visit our Color Information Page for complete instructions.
How do I take care of my wig?
Please see our page on Caring For Your Wig for complete instructions.
Can I use regular hair care products on my wig?
What is a monofilament wig and why are they more expensive?
A monofilament wig is constructed with hairs that are more evenly dispersed on the cap than they are with a standard wig. This gives the appearance of individual hairs growing from the scalp, which is very natural looking. With a standard cap, the hairs are dispersed in rows or lines. Monofilament wigs offer the most styling versatility. The part can be moved or changed because the hair is evenly dispersed on the wig.
Monofilament wigs are more expensive because the construction process makes them more costly to make. If you cannot afford a monofilament wig, we recommend a standard cap wig by Henry Margu. The capless construction on many of their wigs is a desirable alternative.
At Headcovers Unlimited, you will find an assortment of monofilament wigs, as well as quality wigs that do not have the monofilament construction but are still good choices.
What types of wig construction are available?
We have prepared an informational page so that you may educate yourself on the basic types of wig cap construction. Please view our wig construction page for complete details.
Do you offer wigs uniquely designed for medical patients?
When other sites advertise wigs as being "uniquely designed for medical hair loss," they are referring to wigs designed with monofilament construction. Monofilament caps are desirable for any wig wearer. They can be purchased in almost any wig salon, and most major wig companies offer them. Do not be deceived into thinking that you can only purchase these "medical" wigs from one place. No one wig site or manufacturer has a monopoly on this type of wig construction.
Please see our question and answer section on monofilament wigs for more information. At Headcovers Unlimited, we do offer an assortment of quality monofilament wigs, which we always recommend to our clients who can afford them.
Do the wigs come pre-styled?
All of our wigs come PRE-STYLED. They may need a gentle shake or some slight adjustments with a pick or wig comb once they are removed from their shipping box. (Remember that they come to you packed in a hair net). When the wig arrives, some clients like to take their wigs to their local hair stylist while they are wearing them, to have them cut and customized to fit their tastes. It is not necessary but it is a nice touch that many clients enjoy. See our Wig Care Information Page for further information.
Why are most of your wigs synthetic and not "real hair"?
Many people make the mistake of thinking that human hair wigs are better than synthetics. This is a common misconception, and we would like to explain why this is not necessarily the case. We offer the following points to compare and contrast human hair vs. synthetic hair.
1) Human hair wigs are expensive. A decent quality human hair wig starts at $350, and goes up to the thousands of dollars. A good quality synthetic wig can be purchased for approximately $100, and a fabulous, high-end synthetic wig can be purchased for about $250. A good quality synthetic wig will look extremely natural.
2) Human hair wigs require a great deal of care. They must be styled daily, washed more often, and are generally higher maintenance than a synthetic wig.
3) Human hair wigs usually require trimming and styling by a hair stylist before they can be worn. Synthetics come pre-styled and pre-cut and will hold their shape even when washed. Much easier for the average consumer.
4) Since synthetics are more economical, you can afford to change your style when you get tired of your current look.
5) For the medical patient who chooses a synthetic wig, the time and effort saved in caring for the wig is an important consideration. Medical patients are often sick and do not have the strength or energy to care for a high maintenance human hair wig.
6) We do offer an assortment of quality human hair wigs to meet the needs of experienced wig wearers who have worn human hair wigs before.
I have seen wigs for under $75 elsewhere. Why are your wigs more expensive?
While we make every effort to offer lower cost products, we hesitate to offer products that we would not be happy wearing ourselves. With wigs, unfortunately the old saying is true - "You get what you pay for." With a budget product, the feel of the wig, the construction of the wig, the longevity of the wig, and the comfort of the wig are all compromised. To achieve a quality that we would consider wearing, you can expect to pay a minimum of $85 for a short wig.
To put things into perspective, consider a costume clown wig that you can purchase in any discount store around Halloween. Now imagine that you could purchase a wig of this quality, but in your everyday hairstyle and in your own hair color. Would you want to wear a wig of that caliber for anything besides Halloween? We don't think so... and which is why we do not offer them.
Do you have any tips for Internet wig shopping?
We started selling wigs on the Internet back in 1996, when most people had never even heard of the Internet. Back then, we were one of only a small handful of Internet wig retailers. Since then, the Internet has taken on a life of its own, and there are wig sites at every corner. Not all of them are created equal, so we have come up with the following tips to help you with your decisions:
- No matter where you purchase your wig (even if it isn't from us) seek out a retailer that also maintains a retail location. You are looking for a retailer who has years of experience selling wigs. You want someone that handles the wigs daily and deals with real people and real wigs in real situations. Internet-only wig companies do not have the hands-on experience to guide you in your purchasing decisions.
- Find a site that offers professional help in making your selection. At Headcovers Unlimited, we have a licensed cosmetologist with over 30 years of experience who assists our clients.
- If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Many of our customers have reported ordering wigs from big name, high profile internet wig retailers, only to find that when they received their products, they received inferior product substitutions, look-alikes, or imitations instead of the brand name that was advertised.
- Do not let price be your only guiding factor. If you find a company whose merchandise is significantly less than the competition, consider why this might be so. It is better to pay slightly more for a product, and purchase from a reputable company that services what they sell. Find a trusted company who sells authentic merchandise for competitive prices. Purchasing from the retailer with the lowest price may turn out to be an expensive lesson.
- Don't pay an extra fee to have the Internet company style your wig for you. The wigs come pre-styled from the manufacturers. Upon receipt of the wig (assuming you are unhappy with the style), hire a local hair stylist to style your wig for you after you receive it.
- Look for contact information. If you cannot easily find a phone number and physical address (besides a post office box) be wary of the company. In wigs, as in all Internet shopping, if you cannot find the contact information easily, it is probably not a good place to do business with.
Why should I purchase my wig from you?
Top 10 Reasons Why Headcovers Unlimited Is Your Best Choice
1) Free consultations. When your order is placed, upon your request, our cosmetologist will contact you for a free color and style consultation. For more information, see our color consultation questions.
2) First Quality Merchandise. We only send out first quality, unused merchandise by the designers represented. We do NOT sell seconds, returned merchandise, used merchandise, or substandard knock-offs.
3) Fair Prices. Our prices are highly competitive. Nobody else on the Internet offers the type of service we offer, at such competitive prices.
4) Experience. We do not sell wigs out of our home. We are not just an internet drop shipper. We are a reputable retail establishment, and we do offer in-house wig consultations by appointment.
5) Special Orders. We will special order any wig in any line we carry. The same low prices apply to our special orders as they do to the featured wigs on our web site.
6) Easy Reorders. We keep your wig information on file for easy reorders. You no longer need to keep track of it all. Just contact us for reorders, and we'll take care of the rest! (No more keeping up with wig names or color numbers... we'll keep you organized!) Easy!
7) Accessibility. If you have a problem, you can call us! We are easy to get in touch with and offer personal help and service. Call us, and you can easily access real human people who want to help!
8) Privacy. We respect your privacy, and never give out any of your information to anyone for any reason.
9) Fast Service. In most cases, with express shipping, we can get your wig to you (even special orders) as soon as tomorrow morning!
10) One Stop Shopping. We specialize in hair loss. We can walk you through the process and supply everything you need to get you through your hair loss in one easy stop.
Where can I donate or sell my hair?
We recommend a nonprofit organization called Locks of Love. They will use your hair donation to help provide wigs for needy children. If you have some extra hair that you don't need, consider donating it instead of selling it. By giving this gift, you can help a child who is coping with total hair loss.
I have very long hair. I would like to have it cut and made into a wig for my mother...is this possible?
This is probably the most common question people ask us. You love and care for someone and they are losing their hair. Therefore, you want to give them YOUR hair. Unfortunately, there is no good answer here. We do not like to be the bearers of bad news, but...
1) Human hair wigs are not practical for chemotherapy patients. (see above)
2) Custom wigs are expensive (they start in the $2000 range and go up from there.
3) Custom wigs are time consuming to make.
4) While we understand the sentiment behind this question, this isn't a practical solution.
5) Your mother would be much better off with a high quality synthetic wig. We cannot stress enough the importance of buying quality. See our question on synthetics vs. human hair wigs for more information.
What is a comfy grip?
A comfy grip is a therapeutic gel filled headband that can make wearing wigs more comfortable and secure. Comfy grips can be worn by individuals with varying degrees of hair loss, but work best for those with little or no hair. Please see our comfy grip product description in our wig care products section for more information.
Is it okay to copy information from this page?
This page is protected by federal copyright laws and may not be reproduced, modified, or copied, in whole or in part, without written permission from Headcovers UnlimitedTM. To optain permission please contact us.