Why Our Wig Store is Special
Headcovers isn’t just another online retailer. We were founded with heart, soul, and a mission - to provide comfort to cancer patients and individuals experiencing hair loss. Our story began in 1990 when our founder, hairstylist Carol Galland, was diagnosed with Stage II breast cancer. When she lost her hair due to chemo, she was appalled at the wig options available and vowed that, if she survived, she would make the world of wigs a better place.
The products at our wig store aren’t decided on by numbers or passing trends. Each wig is carefully selected for quality and timeless style. We know that illness is hard enough without the anxiety of coping with hair loss, so we’re here to help you thrive on your way back to health.
The Basics of Buying a Wig
Though it may seem overwhelming at first, finding the perfect wig isn’t all that different from shopping for a new pair of pants. Our How to Buy and Wear a Wig guide shares essential tips for getting it right, from how to measure your head (we promise, it’s less than rocket science) to the difference between synthetic and human hair wigs. We even have a Wig Hairstyle Guide for Different Face Shapes to help you find the most flattering hairstyle based on the geometry of your face. If you’d rather talk to a person than a screen, call us at 1-800-264-HATS (4287). We’re here at our Houston wig store, ready and waiting to help.
Full Coverage and Beyond
At Headcovers we know that each person is unique in their search for the perfect hairstyle, and a one-wig-fits-all approach just won’t do. That’s why our wig store offers a multitude of options beyond the standard full coverage wig. Talk to your doctor about what kind of hair loss to expect. Then, head over to our Wigs vs. Hair Toppers guide to figure out which of our wigs for sale will serve you best.
What are Cap Types and Why Do They Matter?
If this is your first time buying a wig, there’s going to be some terminology that you’re unfamiliar with, and we’re guessing that “cap type” might fit that bill. The cap of a wig is basically the headpiece that the hair is attached to. At Headcovers, our wigs for sale fall into four categories - classic, monofilament, lace front, or hand tied. Generally, the wigs get more expensive as you progress through that list due to how intricate the hair attachment method is. Learn more about Different Types of Wigs to find out which cap type will be best for you.
Will Insurance Pay for My Wig?
Many insurance companies will pay for a wig that’s needed for medical reasons. However, getting it covered is all about terminology. Be sure to ask your insurance company if they cover “cranial prosthesis” (insurance jargon for wig). If they do, we’ll provide you with a special receipt to submit with your claim. In the past, our customers have been able to get their cranial- er, wigs, reimbursed with no issues. Learn more here.
How to Make Your Wig More Comfortable
We could talk about lace caps and special construction methods all day, but the reality is that a bare scalp can be extremely sensitive, especially if chemo is involved. After you’ve found a new head of hair in our wig store, head on over to our accessories shop to check out our therapeutic cushion band and luxurious bamboo wig caps. Also remember that it’s OK to give your wig a rest every once in a while. For low key days, we’ve got hats, head wraps, and turbans to help switch up the routine.
How is it Possible to Find the Perfect Wig Online?
We understand that purchasing your next head of hair from an online wig store may seem counterintuitive. Is it possible to make a decision based purely on pictures of wigs for sale online?
Well, we’ve been doing this for over 23 years and believe that our expertise plus a number of handy tools can help you find your dream ‘do without ever stepping foot in a wig store. Our secret weapons include:
- Free wig consultations. Just because you’re shopping online doesn’t mean you’re alone. If you’re unsure about whether a wig will be a good fit — or simply need some guidance to jump-start the process — give us a call at 1-800-264-4287 for a free wig consultation.
- Expert color-matching team. For many women and men, finding a wig that matches the color of their natural hair exactly is a top priority — but that’s nearly impossible when you’re shopping in an online wig store. Right? Wrong! In fact, our licensed cosmetologists are the best in the biz.
All you have to do is send us a strand of your natural hair — or a photo, if you don’t have any strands to send — and we’ll take care of matching the color to your new wig exactly. Check out our guide to selecting a hair color to get started.
- Comprehensive resource library. Have you ever walked into a wig store — or any store, for the matter — and felt completely bewildered? People who find themselves in the market for wigs are often overwhelmed by the new vocabulary and thousands of options. At Headcovers, it’s our goal to take the stress — and guesswork — out of wig shopping. That’s why we’ve compiled a library of dozens of resource articles containing everything you need to know in order to make the best decision.
Browsing wigs for sale can be a stressful experience, especially when you’re dealing with illness. We’ve been there. That’s why our online wig shop experience is designed to help you find the perfect wig without the hassle of stepping foot in a brick-and-mortar behemoth.
How Long Will My Wig Last?
There are three key factors that determine how long your wig will last:
- Whether it’s made of human hair or synthetic. While human hair wigs should last a year or more, synthetic wigs are generally good for 4-6 months.
- How often you wear it. The more you wear your wig, the more you’ll have to wash it. But washing the wig causes stress on the strands over time.
Pro tip: if you alternate wearing your wig with a hat, turban or headscarf, it’ll maintain pristine condition for longer.
- The extent to which you style it. Even if your wig is heat friendly synthetic or made of human hair, tools like curling irons and straighteners will cause the strands to deteriorate faster. The less you mess with it, the longer it’ll last.
In our online wig shop, we’ve got a huge variety of synthetic and human hair wigs for sale at a range of price points so that you can decide exactly how much to invest.
Can I Return a Wig That I Bought Online?
Yes. Our wig shop return policy allows for you to send back a wig that’s in its original condition, complete with packaging. We recommend opting for an exchange, which will earn you a store credit for our online wig store. You can exchange a wig twice; the third wig is final sale.
If you’re not happy with your wig right off the bat, we recommend contacting our team for a consultation at 1-800-264-4287 to make sure the next one meets your fancy exactly.
Read up on our full return and exchange policy to learn how we roll.