We’re calling all blondes! Whether you’re looking for bolder, more dramatic eyebrows or a natural, feathery look, one thing is for sure: eyebrows can do wonders to enhance your style. Natural blondes (or anyone with light or blonde eyebrows) know the struggle of getting the perfect "Goldilocks" brows—not too dark, not too light, but just right.
Don't fret—we have brow-raising tips and tricks to raise your blonde brow game to the next level.
Blonde Eyebrows Tip #1: Pick the Right Color
No matter what type of eyebrow makeup you choose to use, one thing is for sure: color. is. everything. For a more natural, everyday look, you'll want to pick a base color that is not more than one shade darker than your natural hair color. It is also important to take the undertones of your hair into account; does you hair have warm or cool undertones? Pick an eyebrow makeup color that has the same undertones as your natural hair.
- If you have warm golden blonde hair, look for shades with names like "blonde" or "light."
- For cooler ashy blonde hair, look for shades called "blonde" or "taupe."
- For darker or dirty blonde hair, look for shades called "taupe" or "light brown."
Blonde Brows Tip #2: Choose the Right Makeup
There are several different types of eyebrow makeup to choose from, each giving a different effect. The type of eyebrow makeup you choose depends on how you want your eyebrows to look. You can even use different types of makeup at once to create a more complex look.
- Eyebrow pencils and crayons are great for defining and filling in eyebrows. Use eyebrow pencils to create a refined, clean look.
- Eyebrow gels and pomades create a bolder, filled in brow and hold your brow hairs in place. Use eyebrow gel for trendy bold brows.
- Eyebrow powder fills in brows while creating a soft, natural look. It works well to fill in sparse spots.
- Eyebrow mascara is available in both clear and colored variations. It's good for grooming brows, holding hairs in place, setting other eyebrow makeup, and applying texture and fullness to the brows. If the brow mascara is tinted, it also applies color to the brow.
- Eyebrow wax is clear and is used to hold hair and makeup in place.
Blonde Brows Tip #3: Know Your Tools
How you apply your eyebrow makeup is half the battle. The other half is what you use to apply your makeup. Every woman should have these tools in her arsenal:
- A spoolie brush is used to groom the brows and evenly distribute makeup. It is an absolute eyebrow must-have. Some eyebrow pencils come with a spoolie brush already attached to the opposite end of the pencil.
- An angled eyebrow brush provides an easy, precise way to apply eyebrow powder, gel, and wax.
This brush has a spoolie at one end and an angled brush at the other, so you get both tools in one.
Blonde Eyebrows Tip #4: Mix and Match
To create the most natural look possible, it's best to use multiple products and colors. We suggest:
- Using a lighter color to fill in your brows, then using a slightly darker color to add definition.
- Filling in sparse patches with a powder, then using a pencil to add definition.
- Using a pencil or powder to define and fill in your brows, then applying eyebrow mascara to hold your brows in place and create fullness.
The ideal combination of products is up to you. The best makeup for blonde eyebrows depends heavily on preference. Try different combinations of products to find out what works best for you. If you're not sure what products you should get, this eyebrow kit is a great starter pack.
Blonde Eyebrows Tip #5: Perfect Application
Application is very important when it comes to eyebrows. Follow these steps to get the perfect look:
- First and foremost, you want to comb your eyebrows. Use your spoolie brush to comb your eyebrows in an upward motion, grooming and separating your eyebrow hairs.
- Follow your natural brow and apply your eyebrow makeup in short, flicking motions in the direction of hair growth. This will create the look of real eyebrow hairs. Fill in any sparse spots, define, and shape your brows.
- Lightly brush your eyebrows with your spoolie brush to blend the eyebrow makeup and soften any harsh lines.
Blonde Eyebrows Tip #6: Keep it Soft
Bold brows might be in style, but harsh lines and outlines do not give a natural, flattering look. Always make sure to blend your eyebrow makeup with your spoolie brush to create a more flattering look.
Blonde Eyebrows Tip #7: Get the Right Brows for Your Face Shape
Some eyebrow shapes may be more (or less) flattering than others because of your face shape. Read about how to choose eyebrow shapes for your face shape here, then groom your brows accordingly to get the right look for you.
If you need help getting the right shape, try these easy-to-use eyebrow stencils.
Alternatives to Makeup
If you have blonde eyebrows and you're not a fan of makeup, there are several semi-permanent methods you can use to darken, define, fill-in, and embolden your brows.
- In the same way that you would dye the hair on your head, eyebrow tinting is dyes your eyebrow hair and follicles. It darkens the brows and gives a more filled-in appearance. Tinting costs $20-$40 and needs to be touched up about once a month.
- Eyebrow microblading is a type of semi-permanent tattoo on top of the eyebrows. Small, hair-like lines are tattooed onto the top layer of skin to fill-in and define eyebrows. Micro-bladed brows last about 1-3 years and have an average cost of $1000.
- When you get eyebrow extensions, individual hairs are glued to existing eyebrow hairs to create a truly full brow. Extensions last about 2-3 weeks and can cost anywhere from $50-$250.
What do you do to make your blonde eyebrows pop? Leave your favorite tips in the comments below!