Even though eyebrows have gained some (much deserved) acclaim in recent years, they are often overlooked and under-appreciated. Of course, it isn't hard to see why; they aren't sparkly and beautiful like eyes or sweet and sexy like lips. Instead, eyebrows are the silent workhorse of the face. They have a big job. Eyebrows frame the facial features, creating balance, so when they change or fall out completely, the balance of the face is thrown off -- and the effect can be dramatic.
In this guide, we will cover eyebrow shapes and help you determine which eyebrow shape is best for your unique face shape. Here are the basic eyebrow shapes that we will explore in greater detail.
Eyebrow Shaping Options:
Besides tweezing, there are a number of ways to modify or enhance the shape of existing eyebrows, or replace them if you have completely lost your eyebrows. Before we get into the details of each eyebrow shape, it's important to keep in mind your options for replacing or enhancing your eyebrows. Here they are:
From brow sticks to powders, there are many different ways to draw on your eyebrows. You can use a stencil to define the shape of the brow, or you can draw it freehand. For a quick tutorial on how to draw eyebrows, click here. You can also use eyebrow makeup to "customize" temporary tattoos and realistic eyebrow wigs.
- Pros: Cost effective; You can create completely customized eyebrows.
- Cons: Can be time consuming and effort intensive; Requires more skill and practice than other options.
Temporary eyebrow tattoos are made from vegetable dye that transfers to the skin with water. They last on the face for 2-3 days.
- Pros: Cost effective and realistic. They come in a variety of shapes.
- Cons: Because the eyebrow tattoos are printed in batches using natural dye, tattoo colors can vary from sheet to sheet.
Eyebrow wigs are handmade of human hair attached to a flexible gel strip. They should be replaced every three months.
- Pros: Because these brows are made from real hair, they are the most realistic option. Available in three unique shapes.
- Cons: These brows are the most expensive option.
A Crash Course in Eyebrow Shapes
Before we start talking about which eyebrow shapes are flattering, we need to know the technical terms associated with eyebrows -- otherwise this guide might get a little confusing. When defining the shape of an eyebrow, there are 5 factors to consider:
The arch height refers to how “lifted” the arch shape is from the bottom of the eyebrow.
- High arch - The arch is promently lifted (Tattoos: #20, #21, #22)
- Medium arch - The arch is lifted, but not promently; this a very safe arch shape the will suit most face shapes. (Tattoos: #16, #17, #18, #20)
- Low arch - The arch is shallow or barely lifted. (Tattoos: #18, #19)
- Straight - The arch is flat or not lifted. (Tattoo #19)
The arch shape refers to the pointedness of the peak of the arch.
- Rounded/ curved- The arch follows the curve of the eye and does not come to a point. (Tattoos: #17, #19, #21)
- Soft angled- The arch comes to a softly rounded point. (Tattoos: #12, #17, #20, #22)
- Hard angled- The arch comes to a sharp point. (Tattoos: #16)
There are three basic levels of eyebrow thickness:
Definition refers to how “filled in” or voluminous the eyebrow is.
Length refers to how far the brow extends.
- Extended tail: Tail extends slightly past the outer corner of the eye. Tattoos: #18, #19, #21
- Normal tail: Tail extends to the outer corner of the eye. Tattoos: #12, #17, #18, #20, #22
- Short tail: Tail falls short of outer corner of the eye. Tattoos: #16, #20
Choosing the Right Eyebrows For Your Face Shape
Choosing flattering eyebrows is all about selecting a brow that will compliment and balance out your unique face shape.
Oval Face Shape
Since you already have the most coveted face shape, a soft brow with a shallow arch is most flattering; it will maintain the natural balance of your face.
Diamond Face Shape
A diamond shaped face is balanced, but angular; to soften angles, choose a soft brow with a curved or soft arch.
Round Face Shape
If you have a round face, you want to make you face look longer and less circular; eyebrows with a medium to high arch height and a hard or soft angled arch shape will help to lengthen your face. Rounded eyebrows will be the least flattering option on those with round faces.
Square Face Shape
Full and thick eyebrows with a soft or hard angled arch will draw attention from the jaw to the eyes, softening the angles of your face. A soft angled arch can help to soften the jawline, but a hard angled arch with a low arch height will also be flattering. A rounded arch will look unnatural and emphasize the jawline, so it is not ideal.
Heart Shaped Face
Because of your delicate facial structure, you need a delicate brow; full, heavily structured or highly arched eyebrows will appear overwhelming on your face and draw too much attention to the forehead. Soft brows with a low to medium arch height and a curved or soft arch shape will be the most flattering on you.
Pear Shaped Face
If you have a pear shaped face, your eyebrows should have a medium arch height and extended tails to create width at the forehead.
Oblong Face Shape
To balance out the length of the face, eyebrows should have extended tails to create width. A shallow arch height will also help to shorten the face.
- How to Draw Eyebrows with Makeup
- Learn About Eyebrow Wigs
- How to Apply False Eyelashes
- Wig Buying Guide
- How to Buy Hair Loss Hats
© 1996-2017, Headcovers Unlimited, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
We encourage and welcome direct links to this page, but please do not redistribute, copy, alter or create derivative works from our content without express written permission.
Comments, Questions & RatingsAsk a question. Post a rating. Leave Your Comments.
- Stencils Review by Candy cane
Great information!(Posted on 01/08/2019)
- eyeBrow Review by selena
Such amazing tips, I love these sort of posts because there is always something new to learn in beauty and knowing the tips & tricks can make life so much easier. (Posted on 11/10/2018)
- Ms. Review by April
I have a round face n my eyebrows have gotten very thin. I've actually lost the tail I need something to actually help me draw my eyebrow on properly. I was thinking of a stencil. Which one would u recommend for me? Thanks (Posted on 10/04/2018)
- email@example.com Review by Li D
My hair is grey and white: salt and light pepper. Any shade of browns for eyebrows look odd. I like grey eyebrows, however I’m finding it difficult to match any of your colours. Any suggestions? Kind regards.(Posted on 07/27/2018)
- Hi Linnie, We aren't sure what product you are considering. Are you looking for eyebrow tattoos, eyebrow wigs or eyebrow makeup? Your options would largely depend on the product type. Generally, if you aren't seeing a grey option in the product you like, you can often use a grey eyebrow pencil or powder to help blend the color to your natural hair. Please reach out to us so we can better assist you. (04/17/2019)
- Ms Review by Marly
Does the #17 eyebrow wig come in light brown?(Posted on 07/23/2017)
- Yes, it sure does. If you didn't find it on our site, we may have been temporarily out of stock. (08/02/2017)